Cristofaro Caresana (ca. 1640-1709) composed the versions presented here. Despite having been almost completely forgotten in recent times he ranks among the very best of his period, and beyond.
Ondrej Macek & CulturaProfonda aim to rediscover, revive and share more of the essential body of work of this remarkable composer.
Although he was born in Venice, all of his compositional work is associated with Naples. From 1658 he worked as a tenor, organist, composer, and maestro di cappella at Naples’ most important music institutions (opera company Febi Armonici, Conservatorio di S. Onofrio, Cappella del Tesoro di S. Gennaro, Real Cappella di Palazzo). In addition, he was a member of the Congregation of Oratorians (Congregazione dell’Oratorio dei Girolamini), which in the 17th and 18th centuries was one of Naples’ most important supporters of the cultivation of sacred music.
The Congregation’s archives (Biblioteca dei Girolamini) still contain Caresana’s autograph manuscripts dated between 1659 and 1709. Although Caresana fell into almost complete oblivion after his death, his more than 200 surviving compositions, mostly spiritual, prove that he, together with Francesco Provenzale, may be considered among the most prominent representatives of the Neapolitan Seicento.